Today,
we talked about specialty areas in occupational therapy. Occupational
therapists can be certified in a specialty area to show they are skilled in
that area or to provide better care for clients. There are currently 9 certifications available
for OTs provided by the American Occupation Therapy Association (AOTA). It’s
not necessary to have a certification to work in a specialty area, but I think
it’s important if you are super interested in one area. Although this is not
something that I would do any time soon as a new OT, I definitely think it is
important to keep in mind. I don’t know where I will end up after school, but I
may be in a place in 10 or so years that I would want to specialize. It’s
exciting to think about the new specialty areas that will be available by that
time.
Yesterday, Virginia and I led a group session about cultivating a positive attitude we named, "Think Happy Thoughts." I then used the exercise provided in our groups book to lead my reflection on the experience of our facilitation. Although nervous to lead the group, I feel that we did a great job engaging the group members. We led off with a warm-up activity where the group members could state how positive/negative they felt at the moment. I think this was a good way to start the group because it was Monday morning and many of us were feeling negative about the upcoming week. The warm-up prepared the group for the session and allowed them to get their feelings out about the upcoming week. I think the activity we chose was good in facilitating the group goals. Because the group members were my classmates, I found it difficult to know how involved to be in the activity. I think it will be interesting to lead my first client group and compare the differences of facilitation b...
Comments
Post a Comment