My first experience with traumatic brain injury was in high school when a close friend's dad was in a horrible motorcycle accident. He was in a coma for months while we all tried to remain positive that he would survive. He miraculously came out of the coma, although he had a long road ahead of him. After an extensive rehabilitation period, he was able to return home. This was an important experience for me as I saw first hand not only how a TBI affects the person, but how it affects the family and the importance of support from community and health care professionals.
Hi Whitney, Thank you for sharing that story. I had a similar experience in high school with a friend's mother; I worked as a candy striper at the hospital in my hometown and will never forget watching his mom (a teacher at my school) go through the recovery process with her family by her side. It is just that type of experience that helps to shape who we become as OT practitioners.
ReplyDeleteP.S. I love the design of your blog!